Chef Brian West with a classic winter comfort dish!
Potato Soup with Apple Wood Bacon
- 8 fluid ounces apple wood bacon, diced
- 8 fluid ounces onion, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 fluid ounces flour
- 16 fluid ounces chicken broth
- 16 fluid ounces milk
- 1 each bay leaf
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes, diced
- 8 fluid ounces smoked cheddar
- 4 fluid ounces sour cream
- 3 tablespoons green onion, sliced
In a pot cook bacon until crisp remove and allow to drain on a paper towel.
In the bacon fat sauté onion and garlic until soft but not browned. Add in flour to make a roux.
Pour in stock and bat leaf then bring to a simmer to thicken then add the milk. Allow to simmer for about 10mins.
Add in potatoes and allow to simmer until potatoes are soft, about 10mins.
Add cooked bacon back in and season to taste. Garnish with cheese and green onions.
Yield: 3 quarts
CHEF BRIAN WEST
IG & FB: @ChefBrianWestSa