Happy Wednesday! Chef Brian West is back this week for another West Wednesday at his home, and helping us celebrate Easter in Quarantine with some DIY Easter egg candy and chocolate peanut butter cups!
Homemade Ghirardelli Chocolate Eggs
-1/2 cup Corn Syrup
-1/4 cup softened Butter
-3 cup Powdered Sugar
-1 tsp Vanilla
-Yellow Food Coloring
-12 oz Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Chips
1. Cream the corn syrup, butter and vanilla.
2. Slowly add in powdered sugar beating until incorporated.
3. Transfer 1/3 of the filling to another bowl and yellow food coloring.
4. Refrigerate both mixtures for at least 30 minutes.
5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
6. Form the Yellow mixture into about 1" balls and place them on the parchment line sheet.
7. Place in refrigerator or freezer until the yolk balls are firm.
8. Grab a clump of white mixture and flatten into a circle. Place yellow ball in the middle and wrap the white around it forming into an egg shape. Return to prepared sheet.
9. Place in freezer until the egg shapes are solid.
10. Melt the Ghirardelli chocolate in a mixing bowl over boiling water stirring repeating process until it is melted and smooth.
11. Using a fork, dip egg into chocolate and flip to cover completely. Lift with fork and gently tap on edge of the bowl allowing excess chocolate to drip off.
12. Place back on parchment paper.
13. Refrigerate 10 minutes until chocolate has set.
Ghirardelli Chocolate Peanut butter Eggs
-3 Cups powdered sugar
-1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
-1/4 cup butter or margarine melted
-2 Tablespoons milk
-20 oz Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips
-2 Tablespoons shortening
1. Beat together powdered sugar, peanut butter, and butter together. At this point the dough will be crumbly. Add two tablespoons of milk and continue to beat together until the dough softens. If the dough still seems crumbly that is ok.
2. On a floured surface, roll the dough out to desired thickness. About 1/2 thickness. You can use egg cookie cutters or with a knife, shape the dough to look like eggs.
3. Place eggs on a cookie sheet and put in the freezer for an hour.
4. When you are ready to dip them, add the Ghirardelli chocolate and 1 Tbsp shortening in mixing bowl over boiling water. Stirring it after every 30 seconds until smooth.
5. Dip each egg in chocolate. With a fork to help cover in the chocolate. Place them on wax paper to set.
*Makes approx. 20 eggs